Sunday, January 4, 2009

The beginning

Thanks to MTSU's Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity grant, I am working on a documentary project about mountaintop removal mining in East Tennessee.

My motivation to pursue this projects comes from a handful of sources, but mainly my identity as a "east Tennessean". Growing up in Knoxville, the mountains were a constant backdrop to my life. Surface mining receives relatively little media attention, and when I first started learning about it, I had to learn more.

Cut to a few months later, and I filled out an application to receive funds from MTSU to pursue this, and with the help of my faculty mentors Dr. Strawman and Dr. Spires. Thankfully, I received the funding.

Now the fun begins!

This blog will be a place for me to talk about this project, post resources, photos, musings, and more.

I hope to truly understand this issue and help tell the stories of those affected.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or suggestions. I will be seeking lots of outside help.


Stay tuned!

-Alex

No comments: