Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Florida and other happenings


Well, I spent a week visiting family in Florida, but this project wasn't far from mind. When you start learning about something as important to our lives as coal, you start seeing it everywhere.

My sister and I decided to visit this citrus farm 18miles away from where we were staying in Estero. As we drove down Corkscrew Road, we saw many citrus farms, cows, horses, and even wild pigs. It was beautiful. Then we started seeing these signs to save Corkscrew Road. It's amazing to realize how many people struggle against these huge mines to save their livelihoods.

Days before Christmas, I read about the Kingston Fly Ash slide in Roane County. It was startling to say the least. Frustrated at the lack of national news and lack of internet to GET the news, I had to wait until I was back in Tennessee to really get the information. It has so much relevance to what I'm studying, and doing, and I couldn't be there when it happened. But I'll be there soon.

-Alex

p.s. the citrus farm's tangelos were angelic

No comments: