Thursday, January 8, 2009

Kingston continued

Until I can figure out how to post soundslide galleries, I will be posting link to my flickr page to see some photos.

www.flickr.com/alexblackwelder



Coal fly ash spill continued:

After we visited the site and talked to some locals, we visited with an amazing lady who had been greatly affected by the spill. I am still working with her to tell her story, so I can't post too much, but you can read her blog (http://lifeonswanpond.livejournal.com/ )

I don't think any media outlets have accurately captured what some people are going through more than her blog. Her honesty is heartbreaking.

After meeting with her, I drove around trying to pass time before going to the Harriman TVA meeting. I ended up at McDonalds and paid $2.95 for two hours of wireless. The weather was horrendous and I had a hard time finding the site of the meeting.

The meeting was very eye opening. I didn't take any pictures because I just wanted to soak in the situation, the citizen's concerns, and all that good stuff. I'm really glad I did that and waited around for the meeting.

I'm trying to keep track of all the concerns I hear. Each is a possible story to tell.

Here's what I noted:

- TVA is "reseeding" on top of the fly ash. There is concern about what that will do for wildlife, etc that feeds on the grass on top of the fly ash.

- Why isn't TVA sending samples for independent testing, as opposed to just public?

- Where is the ash going?

- Most popular questions for TVA CEO had to do with the potential risks of the fly ash. I got the feeling that many people think that TVA is downplaying the risk to their health, which is quiet possible. Some families aren't willing to stick around for 10-15 years to wait and see the long term effects.

-There were a lot of shaking heads anytime Kilgore mentioned that fly ash was not a "hazardous material". Even more laughing, and disproving shakes whenever he said that TVA does the best they can do and did all to prevent the disaster. "We don't want you to breathe or ingest it, but it is not a hazardous material."- Kilgore

- Is TVA going to buy the land they destroyed? One man was planning on selling his lakeside lot for $400,000, not he will be lucky if he gets $100,000. What will TVA do for those whose property values have completely diminished because of their mistake?

The one thing I noted from the meeting, is that, in general, the people do not feel like they are being told the truth by those in power. Many questions went unanswered or were danced around.


This spill has made me rethink the logistics of my project. More on that later. :)

No comments: